a field guide to the planet - by Damon Ramsey
Damon Ramsey (that's me) works through Ecosystem Guides
as a naturalist guide or destination guide.
I have escorted and led tours around Australia,
worked as a guide for educational groups, doumentary film crews,
birdwatching tours, wildlife tours, zoo groups, overnight hikes, 4WDrive
safaris, rock art safaris, great barrier reef cruises, cape york
coastal expeditions, etc.
For my work history, click here.
These days I spend most of my time working as a naturalist guide on expedition ships. I am usually booked about two years in advance, but trips do drop out, so availability may change. You can check out my future schedule.
In terms of handy qualifications, I have:
- an Outdoor Guiding certification,
- Biology Degree BSc (majoring in zoology)
- First Aid
- Coxswain's ticket (a commercial skipper's ticket for driving zodiacs and glass bottom boats).
- STCW 2010 (including security tickets)
- Seamans Medical
- IAATO, Antarctic guide test and certificate, 2019.
- AECO, Arctic guide test and certificate, 2019.
- LR (light rigid bus license)
- DA (driver's authorization)
Thinking of travelling again after everything settles down? One of the first expeditions I am booked to work on is the NZ sub-Antarctics with Silversea Expeditions and Australia with Coral Expeditions. And here is a shortened version of one of my lectures in a warmer part of the world.